Mercenaries and War Count

If you've just evolved and feel a bit confused, seek help here!

Moderators: Game Moderators, Super Moderators

Mercenaries and War Count

Postby cinneach » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 am

Hi Chris

Noticed the coders have made a significant change to the Mercs ability to participate in wars. This has advantages and disadvantages of course!

One of the key disadvantages, is that it now restricts any other players who choose to join the Merc Guild competing fairly for any of the top rankings on the "Wars" table. Many of those that are in the top levels (myself included!), have achieved this through participation as a mercenary in a large number of Kingdom and Village PEs.

As the ability to participate in PEs as freely as we have been able to previously, has now been significatnly restricted due to the new coding, may I suggest that you consider resetting the rankings on the "Wars" table so that all players now have the same opportunity in reaching the top levels, by being able to work to the same engagement criteria.

Worth considering :)

Cinneach
Cinneach of Mor Ciche
Queen of the Eggs of Hospitalier
cinneach
Shy neighbour

Game Age: 5-Medieval
Character name: Cinneach
Clan: Eggs Hospitalier

Re: Mercenaries and War Count

Postby dubjean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:59 am

Cinn, you are correct that the Merc Guild is virtually useless now due to the changes recently made.

I think it's unfair to reset the war rankings. I could care less about getting the crowns for being first on that list but I went to all those wars spending lots of my time doing so. I also spent alot of rl money on energens to be able to do so. It's bad enough to not be able to enjoy myself in the game by mercing around but to wipe out the hard work I have done in the past would just compound this.

Another thing to consider.. are the rankings going to be reset whenever the criteria that affect them change in the future?

Thanks for listening to my opinion.
Age 1 Dubjean2 ; Age 2 Ryann; Age 3 Dubjean; Age 4 Sibyl; Age 5 Minnie; Age 6 Ekho
dubjean
Omniscient Chat Mama

Game Age: 6-Western
Character name: Ekho
Clan: Leftucky

Postby Renkytty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 am

I have a rather unpopular opinion regarding the changes... but I'll point out - the Merc Guild is only useless because current practice is to not authorize Mercs in wars. It is a Player Choice, the utility is there should you (the kingdoms) wish to take advantage of it. The changes forced the governments into making a choice... pay for Mercs (and all that entails.. cash, defenses, etc.) or take the safe approach. As with previous ages, the governments have taken the safe approach. The Mercs are not useless because of the game, they are useless because of how WE have chosen to play it. If it is terribly important, perhaps you can find a political solution to your conundrum and start authorizing Mercs amongst your alliance.

I would love to know what *I* did to deserve having my War count ripped out from under me. I was never, ever a Merc and participated in what actions I could. I earned my war count. It may not be much, but I'm proud of it. I have the patience to eventually get where I'm going, even if it takes me forever to get there. A reset will effect everyone, not just the few at the top. It is extremely unfair to punish the majority of people because a certain percentage at the top feel slighted by some change or another. We're all in the same boat... if I want to reach some of the upper level achievements, it will take a very long time. Mercs have made the choice to see if someone else will let them fight... perhaps eventually a Government will let them. I have fought to defend my home... I'd prefer not to get caught in the crossfire and lose what I have worked hard to gain.
Renkytty in 3, Greekytty in 4, Kytty in 5
Renkytty
Newcomer

Postby psye » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't think the rank should be reset either, considering many people don't join a lot of wars and to get the achievement for war count takes much longer. :hmmm:
"If someone hates you, be proud that you’ve done something worthwhile enough for them to disapprove of."
psye
Hermit

Clan: Arkansniffs

Postby carolyne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I am strongly against resetting the war rankings. It is no different to the other ages. When the next age kicks in the rankings in age 5 will rotate just like age 2,3 and 4. Some of us have spent alot of energy and crs in joining war after war whereas others have preferred to use their energy elsewhere.

This change in Warring has placed a ruin on the game. It might work for the Clan Wars but for sure it is killing the villages and many players.
Village's: first have to keep crs in the funds and also higher their defences so the money will remain. The captain ofc will have to be around when the war goes off as he/she will have to accept the mercs. A merc joins the wars as they are about to go off, he/she doesn't sit there for hours. XP will be very low for all as we will hit walls, thats if we are lucky to join the war. I have tried 3 times this week and had no luck in joining any.

Players: Energy potions, morale, health, weapons, armour and war weapons are the things that Mercs would usually search for from the markets and the use of Credits ofc.
This new coding of Wars has touched ALL trades, not just the merc's trade, and it will halter the buying of Credits too, why do we need credits now ?

I have tried over the past few days to do other things, l even did the desperate housewife achievement today and got 100xp (more than l have been able to get in wars today.
The question of XP is bad too with this new coding, previously l had summed up that it would take 4/5 months to level from 54 to 55, now l can't even imagine getting a higher level.

The saddest thing is that a big piece of "Fun" has been taken away, no spieing, no last minute rush to get an energy ring or other items from the markets, no checking who attacks who, not even in your own clan between villages. In its way being able to see was also a way of comunicating between clans, now l have the sensation that we are all secluded.
Long Standing Lefty.
Age 2 Sade..Age 6 Carolyne.
carolyne
Active neighbour

Clan: Left Handers

Postby bbhbc10 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

if you reset the war ranks monthly will the game still know how many wars you have taken part in?

if not then how will anyone be able to join the merc guild in the future anyway since don't you need to participate in so many wars to be able to join?

and how would anyone get the number of wars achievement if it resets and the game doesn't keep up with it?
bbhbc10
Village idiot

Clan: Troglahoma

Postby dubjean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 pm

This also seems a push to increase players by having them make multis to "spy" on the other Kingdoms. There is now a change to escape prison easier.

The current changes are heading the game towards "real" war in order to get XP and everything that entails. Those people that have not been in a war, it is not fun. The average player must stay at the Capital to defend and work to get materials for their Kingdom.. no more working on homes, trades, or even making any money. The government people need to do that plus architects need to handle all the extra components and the constable needs to be around to coordinate all the marshals around the clock. There is little sleep for those really involved due to the time zone differences, and that was when you could see a war coming and at least take a 3-4 hour nap in between. Finally, let's not forget all the personal nastiness that goes along with it.

I enjoyed being a mercenary because I could move around the game from place to place (like sailors in GA). Also a reason to be on many times/day to increase my war count, my XP and see if I could finally "beat" another player. I have not even wanted to log in to KA as I've been going from my village foresting/quarrying/mining to the Capital to sell or post. Burn my energy and I'm done, and as Carolyne said barely seeing the XP line move at all.

It seems we have the 2 extremes but nothing in between now.

@bbhbc10, I don't think she wanted it done monthly just this one time to "restart" everyone. We all know that EH and CS have their all-day Sunday wars against each other so that would either force the rest of us to do so to keep up our war rankings or they would be the top rankings at that point.
Age 1 Dubjean2 ; Age 2 Ryann; Age 3 Dubjean; Age 4 Sibyl; Age 5 Minnie; Age 6 Ekho
dubjean
Omniscient Chat Mama

Postby Caronwyn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:55 pm

I certainly wouldn't want to see the war rankings reset. You need to acquire twice the numbers of wars as your current age plus a small number on top of that to be able to join the Merc Guild so for those of us who have been in Kingdom Age from day one, it will take a very long time to get back to that achievement!

If recognition for war counts is required, why not start a new thread and post your number of wars achieved from a given point forwards. If all those who wish to do it declare their current tally of wars at the start, you will achieve the same result. Each of you can agree to put an amount of money in a kitty to be shared amongst the top three achievers.

MissFit
ex-Monarch of the TGs
Caronwyn
Shy neighbour

Character name: MissFit
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Postby cinneach » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 am

Its not the overall war count of players I was suggesting to be reset, it was the rankings table, which is now completely irrelevant to anyone who would like to try to reach the top counts of that table, but has no chance of doing so, due to the top player rankings being largely dominated by those who achieved those levels as a merc who could participate in excess of 20-30 PEs/day (at least).

Resetting it monthly, and awarding the achievements on a monthly participation basis would be a much more fair endeavour, and actully be an incentive for those who are not currently participating in PEs to perhaps pull their fingers out and do so for the hope of reaching the top of the tables.

Based on the changes now to the Theiving, I would also suggest that the ranking table also be re-set on a monthly basis. It means that each month, everyone has the same opportunity to gain the ranking for the additional crowns (and their name in lights), based on the same game factors applying.

Ekho, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that EH and CS run a number of PEs on Sundays. Thats an option that is available to all Kingdoms.
Cinneach of Mor Ciche
Queen of the Eggs of Hospitalier
cinneach
Shy neighbour

Character name: Cinneach
Clan: Eggs Hospitalier

Postby dubjean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Why the concern now? Why wasn't this brought up in Age 2 or Age 4? They have the same listing of rankings and some that have come from behind are now passing. How could a newer player hope to compete against those that have been sitting forever in Age 2 especially in ones like "special hunts" where everyone joins every single one?

Age 5 wars and robberies CAN be beaten by someone else if the top ones stop or slow down, stop or pause the game or the newer ones do more even within the limitations of the game.

@ Carolyne.. I just calculated how long it will take me to get to the next level and then to finally reach max level. I figured like you.. about 2 maybe 3 levels in a year. :?
dubjean
Omniscient Chat Mama

Postby psye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 am

2 or 3 in a year :shock:

I don't agree with the rankings being reset, its a big kick in the teeth to some players who worked their butts of thus far. And concerning the Sunday wars... they're rubbish :lol: I don't join them.
"If someone hates you, be proud that you’ve done something worthwhile enough for them to disapprove of."
psye
Hermit

Clan: Arkansniffs

Postby wyldheart » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:17 am

I know i am still rather new but couldn't this solved rather easily by having two rankings for wars? One for monthly and the one for over all! It does seem impossible for new people to ever achieve the over all one. But does seem unfair to wipe out what others have done also. I feel a bit silly suggesting it since I am just me, but it seems to be something both sides of issue could live with.thanks, Wyld :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_6QitSMLc
wyldheart
Village idiot

Character name: Wyldspirit
Clan: Templars of Gaia

Postby ubicame » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Myabe I am a bit off topic here... I have always tried to be in the mercenary guild, never made it..I do not understand what I have to do to begin with...I have read the entire discussions on this forum regarding the subject and, from what I have understood, and please please correct me if I am wrong, you need to have twice as many wars than your number of days....but what I do not understand is , how is this possible? I mean I have only started participating in wars a few month ago, which means that I am way behind the number of wars I should have to be in the guild... which means that I am NEVER going to be in this guild, as my current kingdom does 2 wars a day... now I have 297 days and 302 wars...Can anyone please help me figure this one out? :wish:
ubicame
Newcomer

Game Age: 4-Greek
Character name: ubicame
Clan: Troglo-phones

Postby dubjean » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:51 pm

If you live in a village then you may get more wars or you can defend any village in your Kingdom. This may or may not help you depending on the Kingdom you live in as some have more village wars than others and if they have defenses or too many people then you may do a lot of nothing which won't help.
dubjean
Omniscient Chat Mama

Postby ubicame » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 am

thank you !
How do i defend a village? do I need to be part of it?
ubicame
Newcomer

Game Age: 4-Greek
Character name: ubicame
Clan: Troglo-phones

Next

Return to Age 5 Questions