this is getting out of hand

If you've just begun, are stuck, or confused, get help here! Quest help is only available in your clan's forums

Moderators: Game Moderators, Super Moderators

this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 am

A game is supposed to be fun. This is just irritating and annoying:

7/5/11 - "You were robbed by paunita who stole 27 goat kneecaps!"
7/8/11 - "You were robbed by xalana who stole 81 goat kneecaps!"
7/9/11 - "You were robbed by Hellokitty who stole 181 goat kneecaps!"
7/10/11 - "Wyatt99100 tried robbing you but you defended yourself successfully!"
7/11/11 - "You were robbed by raecheck who stole 1 Simple bucket!"
7/13/11 - "You were robbed by cal1 who stole 195 goat kneecaps!"

Notice, this is just one week!

Add to this losing 1100-1200kc each month to taxes and I'm not even breaking even anymore. My first sojourn in age 1, I accumulated 8000kc in the first two months and started the medicine quest. I've now been here since November and only have 11000kc saved up.

Robbers add nothing but aggravation to the game, especially since those of us being robbed can't retaliate. And where is all our tax money going? Certainly not to law enforcement. Here's an idea - thieves lose 20% health and morale for each plunder, regardless of what, if anything, they get.

As it is, why should any of us get a job, hunt, or do the quests? Let's all just log in, rob each other, and log out. Get plenty of money with no risk whatsoever, walk away completely unscathed. FWIW, I now get robbed more often in one month than in the entire five months I first played through age 1.

How long before the sheer futility of having robbers and taxes take more each month than I earn outweighs any enjoyment from the rest of the game?
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby BiancaC » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:12 am

Have you bought any kind of security items to try to prevent this?

Or bought items and hidden your wealth on the market where robbers cannot get them?

Look for the tips and tricks at hiding your wealth that are on this forum. When you are ready to evolve, you don't need to have the money there to evolve with the maximum amount of th. Just have the items in your hut and the game will recognize them as being worth the amount you paid for them.
Age 1 - LadyRei (TG)
Age 2 - Deviant (TG)
Age 3 - BiancaC (TG)
Age 4 - SaharNuru (TG)
BiancaC
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby Zora » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Where do we find tips & tricks to hiding wealth?
Zora
Newcomer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 pm

BiancaC wrote:Have you bought any kind of security items to try to prevent this?


My first run through age 1 I bought some of the security items ...they seemed to attract the thieves so I sold them. I recently heard from another player in age 1 that, in the ultimate insult, they were hit by a thief who stole ....their security duck. Unless you get the security god you don't have 100% protection anyway; and since you must periodically replace the security items - it's a toss up whether to blow money on them or do without them and just let the thieves take the money. Either way you lose.

BiancaC wrote:Or bought items and hidden your wealth on the market where robbers cannot get them?


Since there's a limit on what you can charge for any item, how do you price it so no one will buy it? Otherwise you just get your money back, along with the thieves. A simpler solution: each clan has a bank, why can't we deposit our funds?

BiancaC wrote:Look for the tips and tricks at hiding your wealth that are on this forum. When you are ready to evolve, you don't need to have the money there to evolve with the maximum amount of th. Just have the items in your hut and the game will recognize them as being worth the amount you paid for them.


Then why does everyone sell their stuff before evolving? I was told to, which delayed my evolution several days (and probably cost me money since I priced everything low for a quick sale). And since thieves can also steal items, what's the difference in them stealing 200kc or stealing an item worth 200kc? I've still lost, and they've still walked away unscathed.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby BiancaC » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 am

Zora, the whole playing the market thing (buying and reselling) is a trick to hiding your wealth. Other tips and tricks, get access to your clan's private subforum in this forum, or their private forum (if it's not in this forum) and you will find information.

animary, all of the items (including the gods) reset their conservation when bought off of the market. I'm not sure why you aren't putting security items in your hut, but the more security items (or the less items) in your hut, the less likely it is to have things stolen from you. 99% protection is better than 0% protection, and frankly if you aren't trying to help yourself, why are you just whining about losing money?

I keep myself protected sometimes with a protection god (picking it up from the market and keeping it until it's close to expiring and then reselling it) or with the regular security items. Both situations work at protecting what I have in my hut.

As for the market, it's not about keeping the items in the market. It's about reselling things. Eventually yes, you will have people buy your items. What you have to do is then ... buy other items. Stealing can only happen at reset in age 1. So if you are that paranoid about people taking your money, check in right before reset and then buy anything you need to buy (putting it on the market immediately afterwards).

You are right, there are banks. However, they do not work like real life banks. For example, in age 3 (I assume it works similarly in age 2 and 4; no clue about age 5) the bank is funded by donations. So the amount of money a clan has is dependent on the money given by the players. That money cannot be taken back out by the players who put it into the bank. In age 3, those donations are turned into soldiers' pay for defense.

Honestly? I have no idea. When I first started the game, I looked up what I needed to do to evolve the right way so I knew that I only needed to have the items in my hut while I was clicking on the evolve button and so long as I had what equaled the maximum amount of money, I was happy. I assume that either people aren't paying attention to the information older players are giving them or that they don't trust it. And again, I think you are missing the point I was making when talking about keeping things in the market. When you evolve, all you need is the right amount of money (in items in your hut or in kneecaps). Anything that you leave on the market is not counted. Anything that you get for free is not counted. If you have received anything for free, then I would suggest you sell the item but past that, you can simply have the items in your hut. Again, this is for when you evolve. NOT for having in your hut all the time. The market is the place to use to hide your items and your wealth. When you are evolving, you aren't trying to hide your wealth! You are handing it over so that you can get it converted to trout heads!
Age 1 - LadyRei (TG)
Age 2 - Deviant (TG)
Age 3 - BiancaC (TG)
Age 4 - SaharNuru (TG)
BiancaC
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:52 pm

BiancaC wrote:animary, all of the items (including the gods) reset their conservation when bought off of the market.


I was told that's how the market worked in age 2 - "unlike age 1". If age 1 also functions thus ...I've wasted a lot of funds in my two sojourns here; though, outside of hygiene items, I rarely purchase anything not quest related. (Most of my information, correct or not, has come from more experienced players - ones who've been here for years, played several ages).

BiancaC wrote: I'm not sure why you aren't putting security items in your hut...


As I previously stated, the one time I did it seemed to attract the thieves; I was hit more over the next two weeks than over the preceding month. So I sold them. (By the same logic that when, earlier this year, our clan's well was perpetually dry and I was buying water every few days, I splurged and bought my own well. The next three days not only was the clan well dry, so was mine. So what's the purpose? I sold the well.)

BiancaC wrote:....why are you just whining about losing money?


So this is the response to a legitimate question?

I believe the title of this thread expresses my concern. My first time in age 1 I was hit by thieves maybe three or four times per month. That is a far cry from the four to five times per week they now strike. The "Hall of Shame" is a traditional part of the HA Tribune; the thieves are now posting ads complaining of being listed there when they steal from anyone.

What makes me acrimonious is that we have no recourse; we can't retaliate, we can't put our funds in the bank. We're expected to sit here and enjoy watching the thieves get away "scott free". In real life we pay taxes and get, among other things, police protection and fresh water. In HA you grab 10% of our funds every month for "taxes" AND WE GET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN RETURN!

I think my concept of a health and morale loss is a valid and viable penalty for thieves, and certainly wouldn't be difficult to implement. Perhaps a paleolithic jail where, after three failed attempts, a thief spends three days (can't work, hunt, fight, play games, etc.; and stats are frozen).


As for evolving, everyone I knew who evolved had that "pre-evolution" sale to convert everything to cash. I still see ads in the Tribune for this. The required amount of cash is easy, but age 2 is a relatively expensive proposition at the beginning so the more funds you take the better off you are; from what everyone told me it was only your cash on hand that was converted, your "worldly possessions" didn't count. But this is no longer pertinent for me; since my age 2 character (animary) will not be evolving, it would be a conflict of interest for my age 1 character (yramina) to evolve, so both shall probably become elderly citizens of their respective ages. (At the appropriate time I'll create a new character and start age 3 from scratch.)

I still don't see how to safely stash 10000kc in the market. Lack of market activity is why it's taken me so long to accumulate any wealth this time in age 1 (previously I sold my hunt every day for a decent return; since restarting in Nov it seems little above a lizard or frog ever sells so I dump my hunt on the merchant each day ...my best solution after having to eat several brontosaurs, hippos, etc. when they sat in the market til their expiration date). What to buy? The most expensive weapon is a 700kc spear, and why would anyone buy that when you get them free in the game (I'd corner the market and never be able to unload them). FTR, the only reason I'm playing the miser is I decided not to start the medicine quest til I had at least 15000kc.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:25 am

"16-07-2011 You were robbed by minx who stole 250 goat kneecaps!"

I've played HA longer than any other online game, but my temper and my patience are being stretched to the limit. This is beyond ridiculous, it's absolutely infuriating! Being hit occasionally by a thief is acceptable ...BEING HIT SEVEN TIMES IN ELEVEN DAYS IS NOT!!!

I have tried to be a decent, friendly player; I have tried to be helpful, particularly to newcomers; between gifts and cash I probably give away as much as the thieves take ...and this is my reward.

As I stated in my first post, a game is supposed to be fun. If the developers consider this incessant irritation and annoyance to be fun, they, and those who agree, are welcome to play for a dozen eternities. But I fear I shall soon be bidding goodbye to my friends here. I had hoped to finish the medicine quest this time and become a healer, each day that now seems less likely.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby BiancaC » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 am

... Ok, first a response to your first post. All the items INCLUDING the gods get their conservation reset in age 1. That's a fact. In age 2, the weapons (excluding the credit one) reset their conservation. Nothing else. In age 1, there's no specific conservation amount given to any of the market items because they reset, it's just the amount of days the shop states. I'm not sure how you missed the information, unless you are just talking with people and not going to the forum to look up how the market works. That's how I found out how it works and have tested the information out for myself by buying things.

Umm, the well works so that IF there's water in the well in your clan, then you can pull free water from the well. That's how it works. It was never so that if the clan's well was dry, you can pull water. Again, if you buy the well, use it for a while and then resell it, it's not a loss to have it in your house.

Yes, that was my response. I've given you answers that can help you and all you say is that it doesn't work because in the past it hasn't for you. The answers I have given you are ones that I have used myself in all three characters I have put through age 1. They have worked and continue to work with my current age 1 character.

Thieves come and go, I have found that it comes in waves where some of the players think it's fine to do. It also depends on what clan you are in. If the ranks say that a lot of players in a certain clan are rich, that clan tends to get hit more often.

Again, there is a recourse as you can use the tips I have given you to hide your money. You can try to retaliate by also stealing but there's no guarantee that you will hit the person that was stealing from you. You aren't expected to sit and enjoy thieves. The game expects that, with a forum here to give tips and tricks, that you take the advice instead of throwing it out as useless.

In real life, with civilization, yes you get police protection. This is a game that tries to show how each age worked. In prehistory? Police didn't exist. You had to hide things where you are able to hide them. Same thing works for age 2, although there's raw materials for thieves to take instead of your more expensive items.

As well, you can get out of the taxes each month by hiding your money in the market when the tax man comes by.

While your concept might work, the fact is that there's a jail in age 2 and onwards for thieves. Jail doesn't exist in prehistory as the game attempts to stick to reality.

I'm not sure why 'everyone' would bother. All they would need to do is look at the cash involved in the money transfer and then look at their available funds to see that the two numbers do not match up. People are obviously going through the age ignoring the forum and the advice of individuals who know better. Age 2 is actually not all that expensive when you are first starting it if you have either looked through the information or have previously worked through the age and remember the steps to take. None of your characters will be evolving at all? How are you getting a character in age 3 then? Or do you mean Greek Age (age 4)? The only way to get to age 2 or 3 is to evolve out of age 1 with a character.

... And remember how I said that the things that you get for free don't count? The 700kc spear has a long conservation period and with the market fires, you can easily sell them with time. Then again, they are good investments. Do you need to see all those kc or use them for any reason? You have said that it's a lot of money and that no item on the market or shop can absorb the money. So why do you need it all out hanging around where it can be stolen from you?

To give you an example of how I work, I have about 4000kc worth of items on the market right now. I have around 1000kc physically in the account. The rest of my items along with the physical kc total almost 15000kc according to my evolution page. I have those items in my hut instead of in the market because I've been paused for a while and haven't bothered moving everything back into the market yet as I don't feel the need to hide everything.

Why did you need 15000kc before starting the medicine quest? There's no reason or need for that much money if you aren't in a hurry to evolve.

I seriously think that you need to relax a lot more. It's just a game. People aren't actually stealing anything from you. You are experiencing how it might have been for cavemen. That's the point of the game. I think you are missing out on that part of it. So it takes you a year to become a healer ... If you don't intend to evolve, is it really that big of an issue? You had thought to just stick around in the age and believe me it becomes boring after you have everything done. That's actually why the medicine quest (as well as the farm) exists in the game. To keep the older players interested in playing while we were waiting for age 5 to open up.
Age 1 - LadyRei (TG)
Age 2 - Deviant (TG)
Age 3 - BiancaC (TG)
Age 4 - SaharNuru (TG)
BiancaC
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby dubjean » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I had the same problem in Age 4, getting hit continuously, not happy at all about it, and it does come in waves. I had heard Age 3 was terrible with thieves but that hasn't been my experience at all. All I can tell you for sure is watch for a security god to be on the market and buy it, then remember to resell/rebuy before it expires so that it will remain with you indefinitely.

We've gone round and round in all the ages with thieves and they're here to stay, same as resellers. Posting their names does no good, it just makes some do it more so they can see their name! There are some very proud to be stealing from others and those that enjoy doing it, do so in all the ages.

Join Age 5 and become a bounty hunter (eventually) and chase them down. Not ideal and very difficult to do, but at least it's something you can be proactive about. We all need to complain to let off steam, but BiancaC is giving you good advice and it's up to you to take it or not.

Good luck!
Image
Age 1 Dubjean2 ; Age 2 Ryann; Age 3 Dubjean; Age 4 Sibyl; Age 5 Minnie; Age 6 Ekho
User avatar
dubjean
Omniscient Chat Mama
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:52 am
Game Age: 6-Western
Character name: Ekho
Clan: Leftucky

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I am sorry you do not comprehend my viewpoint. To reiterate one basic fact: a game should be fun, and yes this is just a game, but the irritation of logging in nearly every day to find thieves have taken more than I've earned that day quickly negates the enjoyment of the game. Primarily because there is nothing I can do about it, I cannot retaliate; the thieves get away with absolutely no penalties or recriminations. If it would help, I'd gladly purchase an army of gorillas and take exceptional delight in the knowledge they were pummeling would-be thieves within an inch of their wretched existence ...but that doesn't happen. (From what I've read, buying more than one of any security item has no further effect.)


BiancaC wrote:... All the items INCLUDING the gods get their conservation reset in age 1...


I'll not argue that. Perhaps I was misled; being told, by two people who've played ages 1,2, and 3, that this didn't occur til age 2, so have played accordingly. Not a major issue since, when I've tried to buy a god, I was asked for a credit card or PayPal ...which is not going to happen.

BiancaC wrote:...In age 1, there's no specific conservation amount given to any of the market items because they reset...


Excepting, obviously, animals. Or have I overlooked something here? This time through age 1 I dump all my hunt on the merchant, for whatever he offers, because anything more expensive than 20kc will sit in the market till it reaches its expiration date.

BiancaC wrote:Umm, the well works so that IF there's water in the well in your clan, then you can pull free water from the well. That's how it works. It was never so that if the clan's well was dry, you can pull water.


So what's the purpose of buying a well? If it only has water when the clan well has water, you get water from the clan well FREE.

BiancaC wrote: I've given you answers that can help you and all you say is that it doesn't work because in the past it hasn't for you...


Obviously. If I tell you to do something and it doesn't work for you, what will be your response? I bought security items, they had no discernible effect, I sold them.

BiancaC wrote:You can try to retaliate by also stealing...


?!?!
Would that not be the height of hypocrisy?! Absolutely out of the question!

BiancaC wrote:This is a game that tries to show how each age worked. In prehistory? Police didn't exist.


Nor did taxes.

BiancaC wrote:Jail doesn't exist in prehistory as the game attempts to stick to reality.


Nor did taxes.

And if we're sticking to reality, humans and dinosaurs didn't coexist. How many brontosaurs and plesiosaurs have you taken in hunts?

The precedent has been set of not sticking to reality. If prehistorical people can hunt brontosaurs and pay taxes, they can have police and jails.

BiancaC wrote:As well, you can get out of the taxes each month by hiding your money in the market when the tax man comes by.


Illuminate me, please.

BiancaC wrote:So why do you need it all out hanging around where it can be stolen from you?


I don't "need" it in my hut, but I've found nowhere else for it. And since thieves can also steal items, I fail to see how converting the cash in my hut to items in my hut improves the situation.

//////////////

I will not be evolving from age 2 since a prerequisite is engaging in belligerent activities. Probably 90% of online games are based on combat of some type; all quite tiresome. I have enjoyed HA because it isn't ...til I read the requirements for evolving to age 3. I find it hypocritical for a healer to fight. My understanding is that I can register a new character and start any age; though I've seen nothing in the forum to corroborate or deny this.

I found age 2 quite expensive compared to age 1, especially at the start. Building your stats is long and expensive; the quests are simple but expensive; except for ants, food items are exorbitantly priced; there are no free games by which you may get a bit of daily cash; improving your character level is not cheap; income is low and slow. But - I restarted age 1 the same day I started age 2; in age 2 I am a healer, affluent enough to help newcomers and donate frequently to the clan ...and I have not once, even once, in all these months been hit by a thief.


When I first tried the medicine quest, I had 7000 saved. In less than two weeks I had blown through that, taken out a bank loan, and was getting daily assistance from friends; I'd even used my household items on the raft. So this time I decided to have twice that before starting.

BiancaC wrote:...You had thought to just stick around in the age and believe me it becomes boring after you have everything done. That's actually why the medicine quest (as well as the farm) exists in the game. To keep the older players interested in playing while we were waiting for age 5 to open up.


HA is probably the ultimate casual game; two minutes a day, if that long, to take care of necessities. But I enjoy the social aspect of the game also, so I communicate with friends ...and often the game is secondary. (If you want boring, play BTO; they open a new server every week while the old servers die of monotony. If you'd like boring and combat, waste a year on Evony.)

And, after all this, I stand by my assertion that thievery in age 1 has gotten out of hand and should be reined in.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby BiancaC » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Age 3 is terrible with thieves only because you can't hide anything anywhere. The market, your house, your money, they can all be points where thieves steal from you. That's the main thing that puts people off of age 3, as in the previous ages the market was a holding spot.

I very rarely get hit in age 4 and usually I only lose 0 to 200dr ... I've put most of my money into boats though, so maybe that's it? I get hit more often in age 3, but that's because I use protection gods and along with my wife who is also covered by the protection gods because she's my wife, we're two of the top ranked people in wealth in the age. The thieves don't get anything because of that but I'm more annoyed with that age than any other age I'm involved with, especially when the thief is from my own clan. It's frustrating for me because it makes my fellow clanspeople targets for thieves who think that they can score a nice bite from the couple with 200,000sc each.

In all honesty, thieves is age 3 are kind of good though. Most of my workers at first were people who didn't have a job and who were trying to steal from me. Instead of getting pissed off and firing (or not hiring) them, I offered them jobs. There are ways to deal with thieves in each age and I found that for some thieves, they tried it at first and then it was the only thing that would make them any money because people refused to employ them based on the lists. They were the best workers because they didn't want me to fire them for not working because I had given them the chance to work honestly. And for the most part, they stopped showing up in my events list as well as in other people's postings so I've got to assume that it stopped them from stealing.

animary,

I'm not going to be addressing every point you are making because in all honesty, I've said it before and you keep ignoring it. But there are a few things that haven't been made clear for you.

You know how the market works? The gods in the market ... They go for kc, not credits. Watch the market for the protection god and you can have it for kc for an amount of time before you resell it on the market. It will be bought, please believe me.

All security items, household items, weapons, etc. get reset. The animals I believe actually do get reset but everybody hunts so there's no real point in buying them.

The well is useful because you pull water and then can resell it... Or store it for when there's no water in a heatwave. Or use it on your farm animals or wolf. You got the first step down in using the clan well but have apparently ignored both the description of the well you can buy and the potentials for the extra water.

Actually, if somebody with years of experience in the game mentioned that things worked for them, I would try them. That's why I tried them in the past and since they work almost all the time now, I will try anything that people suggest to me. When I get to parts in age 4 that I haven't done yet, I ask for advice and take it. When I move onto age 5, I will do the same. Again, the main suggestion I make is that you use the market to hide your wealth.

You asked for options, stealing yourself is an option. It's not necessarily a good one, but considering that you think most of my advice is bad in the first place? I am giving you all the options that you can do because you say that we've given you no options!

And there's a way to get out of the taxes, please pay attention. There's also no hospital in prehistory yet there is in age 1; as well as the farm and the ability to become a healer.

This is supposed to be an educational game, did certain animals exist with humans? Yes. Dinosaurs? No, but that's what the normal person would think of when thinking about cavemen. Mammoths? Yes they did. There's lots of evidence that we hunted them. The wolf we find is actually an example of how we domesticated dogs.

Illuminate you? Really, when I have said it again and again, if you haven't been able to understand the whole 'hide things in the market' at this point ... I don't see when you will be able to.

Items in the market ... Honestly, please pay attention to the whole suggestion. You buy things to hide your wealth in and then put them in the market.

You cannot start in age 3. The forum states this. Ages 1, 4, and 5 are the only place you can register new accounts in. Ages 2 and 3 must be evolved into.

And frankly ... Age 2 is easier than you are saying it is. You just need to know the tricks to making money fast. But since you don't care to listen to my advice for age 1, why should I give any for age 2?
Age 1 - LadyRei (TG)
Age 2 - Deviant (TG)
Age 3 - BiancaC (TG)
Age 4 - SaharNuru (TG)
BiancaC
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:20 pm

dubjean wrote:...I had heard Age 3 was terrible with thieves but that hasn't been my experience at all.


I've a friend in age 3 who's never mentioned thieves; though she was quite perturbed for being imprisoned for giving away a daily gift. I was hoping thieves were an age 1 phenomenon; I've not encountered, nor even heard of, them in age 2.

dubjean wrote:We've gone round and round in all the ages with thieves and they're here to stay, same as resellers.


That they exist is not my complaint; that they roam freely with no penalties nor recriminations is. Which is why I propose a loss of health and morale for each act of plunder, whether successful or not. Would you not feel somewhat vindicated knowing that lowlife who just stole from you is now sitting at home having to spend some of his/her ill-gotten booty to recover health and morale? And the fact that a would-be thief will incur this loss even if he/she comes away empty-handed may deter some from pursuing this career.


dubjean wrote: Posting their names does no good, it just makes some do it more so they can see their name! There are some very proud to be stealing from others and those that enjoy doing it, do so in all the ages.


Agreed, wholeheartedly. But perhaps where public castigation has no effect, or the opposite of that desired, public ostracism may work. Several law abiding citizens have begun keeping lists of all known thieves with the intent of no one helping these people. Don't friend them during mammoth hunts, don't aid them in quests, ignore pleas of assistance, even have healers ignore them (though some thieves are also healers).

dubjean wrote:BiancaC is giving you good advice and it's up to you to take it or not.


The only advice I question is that which I've already tried, to no effect.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:45 pm

BiancaC, how am I ignoring you? I am asking for clarification. You keep saying "hide things in the market" "hide things in the market" without further explanation. As I understand it, I can buy ten spears; now I have ten spears instead of 7000kc. If I keep the spears at home, a thief can steal them. So I put them back in the market at the same price and logout; log in the next day to find one or more sold, I have the kc, and a thief stole part of that. Where's the benefit? Or where is the failure in my logic?

Does the fact that I question imply your advice is bad? Outside of trial and error, what I've learned of HA has come from other players, equally experienced as you, and from the forums. I've found players don't always agree with each other or with the forums, and even different forum threads will disagree. So I take all with the proverbial grain of salt. Being told to do something doesn't equate to being told how to do something, hence I question. If I'm told something incongruent with my experience, I question.

My reaction to your suggestion that I steal in retaliation is due to, blatant hypocrisy aside, I would still find that unconscionable. That I should lower myself to the status of those in this game I have come to loathe is mildly insulting (mildly because we don't know each other). OTOH, I could gladly and without remorse take those aforementioned ten spears, skewer a thief on each, and place them upright around my hut, a la Vlad the Impaler, as a warning to others who would pursue this source of income.

If evolution is the only way to reach age 3, I shall regrettably eschew that age.

I had a slow start in age 2 mainly because instructions for the quests weren't clear, so I delayed starting them for weeks. Also knew nothing of social advancement til another player mentioned it, at which point I had enough funds and RPs to zip half a dozen rungs up the social ladder at one sitting. In fact, my only complaint with age 2 was the infuriating amount of time spent going to the hospital (until a month ago I'd never been more than four days without a hospital visit, and often went two, even three, times in one day). Otherwise it's proven more enjoyable than I was led to believe; I'm even being urged to run for clan leader (by some poor misguided souls obviously in need of the hospital themselves). And I am unable to access the age 2 forums so am completely at the mercy of what other players tell me.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby BiancaC » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 am

BiancaC wrote:Or bought items and hidden your wealth on the market where robbers cannot get them?


The above quote comes from the first reply I gave. And this is the final thing that I will say on the matter as you seemed to be able to connect to which items to buy and resell but then said that it would never work and was useless.

There is nothing on the market for over 700kc. You are currently holding far more than that on your character. There is no reason to simply have that money physically on your character unless you like looking at the ranks page and seeing how high you are on it.

All items in these categories will resell eventually if you buy them and most have a long enough conservation period that you can use them for a while and then place them up in the market if you wish to do so:
- Weapons
- Security
- Hygiene
- Furniture

Skills will resell quickly, so they are only a good investment for resale when you are first starting and trying to make as much money as quickly as possible.
Among the special items, the protection god will resell almost the second it hits the market. The others are not really worth putting money into.

Buying and reselling will keep your money somewhat protected in the market. It's more protection that simply having it on your character, so why not try it even if you think you'll lose 'everything' when the conservation ends on the items? Or when they get resold? Again, the only time thieves can hit you is at reset. Come on a few minutes before that to make sure you haven't had things sold (and to buy other things if you have had things sold) and place those items onto the market. You'll find that you won't lose as much as you are currently losing.

The items themselves, when you go to evolve, carry the amount of kc you bought them for as their value in the evolution process. So if you ever do want to see what age 3 is all about but retain a character in age 2, all you need to do is pull your items out of the market and evolve with the maximum amount of money.
Age 1 - LadyRei (TG)
Age 2 - Deviant (TG)
Age 3 - BiancaC (TG)
Age 4 - SaharNuru (TG)
BiancaC
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Tooth Grinders

Re: this is getting out of hand

Postby animary » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:30 am

Didn't say it would never work, only that I didn't see how it would work.

I've paid little attention to the ranks page; I'm probably not there, plus that's not why I play. (I do recall ages ago seeing a person there weighing over 3500kg and thinking - this person evolved ...into a brontosaurus.)

What will prevent me from evolving to age 3 is that I refuse to fight, therefore will never meet the requirements.

In scanning this thread I realize I have been amiss in not thanking you for your help. My apologies.

In attempting to sell my age 1 spear as I do my age 2 bow, I see this:
----------------------------
Carved flint spear

Position on the market : 51
Quantity for sale : 1
Asking price : 700 goat kneecaps
Bought for : 0 goat kneecaps
Profit per item sold: 700 goat kneecaps
Conservation duration : 2 moons <<<<<<<<<<< ??
---------------------------------

Unless at least 51 people buy flint spears in the next two days, I'm sunk on this one. (When my spear has about 22-23 days left, I return to work as a flint cutter.)

19-07-2011 You lost a(n) Carved flint spear that you had for sale on the market. It reached the end of its conservation length.
Last edited by animary on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
age 2 - animary
age 4 - kuneho
animary
Active neighbour
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Ohio
Game Age: 2-Celtic
Clan: Frozen Feet

Next

Return to Age 1 Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest