Board Security

Report bugs found in trying to use the forums here. Feel free to suggest improvements here too.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Super Moderators

Board Security

Postby Juspar » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:11 am

Several clans keep their own 'private' forums, but the official board here has locked 'members only' sections for each clan.

I understand that there is some feeling that the 'members only' isn't really as 'only' as it should be.

Can someone explain the history, and any other related information to me?
Image TeJuspar
Image DaJuspar ~ DozeyDazey
Image Juspar ~ Andreea1979
Juspar
Active neighbour

Game Age: 3-Egyptian
Character name: Juspar
Clan: Khran Ra-Zeh

Re: Board Security

Postby ovini » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 pm

In the beginning all was without form and void...
:mrgreen:

Skipping ahead a few million years... HA was created

Then... there should be a board... and a board was created... and Chris saw it was good... and everyone feasted...

Then humans (those evil creatures...) were given the responsibilities as Mods and Admins... and started to messing around to benefit some people more than others politically

So the mods and Admins were to refrain to be involved politically... and there should be no politics in the board... except for the black hole of interclan politics

So... the humans were forced to create their own boards... using sticks and stones they managed to create it... were they could complain and brag without Admins interference
ovini

Postby Juspar » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:42 am

Grrr, silly Mods, er, humans.

So one should still refrain from posting truly sensitive information on this board (even in the 'clan only' section?)
Image TeJuspar
Juspar
Active neighbour

Postby ovini » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 pm

No... now we trust that Mods have learned... and won't edit or delete posts just because it displease them...

So it's ok to have political discussions in the clan only area... even ok for them even to say their opinion... but... they still have to stay away from the interclan

Guess that the players liked and kept their private forum... this way they can post what they want... and not have any official admin control over what is done there
ovini

Postby Juspar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm

New but related question (perhaps the kernel of a suggestion):

With HA account limited to one per age, that means that you could conceivably belong to three tribes. It is concerning that such a person could access the private area's of all three clans and misuse that information.

Other than private boards. What solutions have players come up with to deal with this? What tools would make it easier?
Image TeJuspar
Juspar
Active neighbour

Postby Palas Athena » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 pm

The same mod who deleted our private forum once upon a time was de-modded from this board for unethical behavior. I applaud Kallisto for her quick action regarding this. The person is no longer playing the game that I am aware of, but unfortunately has without doubt changed the way I play as well as my ability to trust to a great degree. The other issue is that I actually have proof of moderator indiscretion from as recent as the bannings, a players character made public to some degree. That information was only available to admin and mods.
If a character changes tribes, easily enough done, they then can request access to this area of the board and it will be granted to them. As I have stated on another part of this area, there is definite issues with security in both the main and private forums. Sadly enough, I do not see any solution to this.
Palas Athena
Respected citizen

Game Age: 4-Greek
Clan: Egg Heads

Postby Juspar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Thank you for repeating my question.
Image TeJuspar
Juspar
Active neighbour

Postby CeNedra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:40 pm

As far as i know you are IP checked when you are registered on here or on a private clan forum, you are not allowed to have 2 seperate accounts for different characters! So you shouldn't be allowed access to any areas other than the original areas you requested when joining any forum. I can't for example ask for EH access for my age 1 as i have CS access for my age 2!

Please correct me if this info is wrong... :eek:
Missed you guys xoxox
Former Chief & Pharaoh of my beloved COS
CeNedra
Respected citizen

Game Age: 6-Western
Character name: CeNedra
Clan: Arkansniffs

Postby Juspar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't think that's quite right. Maybe it is, but I see major issues with it. How does your Age 1 know what's going on (not hat Age 1 is a big deal, but imagine you had an age 2 and 3 character instead). Of course in some ways that would be perfect. I'm also very interested to know what the situation is. Perhaps an admin could enlighten us?
Image TeJuspar
Juspar
Active neighbour

Postby CeNedra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Well as a Proud CS member both my characters are in this clan :luv: so i don't have any problems but i suppose if you have characters in different clans i assume you wouldn't be political anyway as you wouldn't have the heart for being a member of another clan, thats how i feel anyway :hmmm:
Last edited by CeNedra on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missed you guys xoxox
CeNedra
Respected citizen

Postby ovini » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 pm

As far as the MainBoard goes... Its strictly forbidden to have 2 Forum accounts (even in the same clan)

On private forums... private forums are just that... private... they can do what they want
ovini

Postby CeNedra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 pm

lol i was still editing... :doi:

Yep yep, thought so :woohoo:
Missed you guys xoxox
CeNedra
Respected citizen

Postby Juspar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 am

Interesting.

Thanks!
Image TeJuspar
Juspar
Active neighbour

Postby Palas Athena » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm

But one can still change clans and have their access changed from one main forum acct to the new tribe. Anyone really wishing to gain access to a rival tribes area could do this and still remain loyal to their original clan. And I also would wonder how many of those same IP addresses are husband and wife or two siblings and in different clans.... :hmmm:
Palas Athena
Respected citizen

Game Age: 4-Greek
Clan: Egg Heads

Postby CeNedra » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Palas Athena wrote:I also would wonder how many of those same IP addresses are husband and wife or two siblings and in different clans.... :hmmm:

lol...when my son started playing in age 1 suggested to him (very nicely) that he could only play if he was a CS, so he is now, i think he was a FF when he started but not for long :mrgreen:

But i agree with Palas here it is a security issue but whats the worse that could happen? We find out in advance that we'll be attacked? Thats what spy's are for and anything top secret can be discussed on IM! (well thats what i used when i was chief) :shhh:
Missed you guys xoxox
CeNedra
Respected citizen

Return to Forum Queries