Guides: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Come show us your graphic skills! Also, if you're looking for an avatar or a banner, that is the place :)

Moderator: Game Moderators

Guides: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Postby tehno_lord » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Maximum Banner size:
height 150px
width 625px

Maximum Avatar size:
height 120px
width 120px

Open for debates & leeching

In making the banner You need 2 main things: The picture(s) & the font(s)
I posted soem resources for both beginers & advances siggy makers.
Sugested main programs: Adobe Photoshop CS2, Paint Shop Pro.
Sugested helpers (programs used to make quick fixes/edits): Paint (yeah a bit lame but usefull), Ulead PhotoImpact XL, Bright, ACD7

I use Adobe Photoshop CS2 as a main program so i'll base my tutorial on it. Paint Shop Pro seems to have similar options so it might apply to it aswell.

First of all you'll have to choose 2 or more pictures you'll want for your banner, & 1 or 2 fonts.
The 2 pictures usually are the background & the character (char). I don't like making a banner just by copying a picture, placing text on it & resizing for banner size...
You take the picture you want to act as a background & save it on the desktop.
You'll want to save main steps of the process with different names in a separate folder & different name than the main picture (Let's say that the main picure is "lala.jpg" u'll rename it "lala2.jpg")
Take the second picture with your character of your choice, crop it, cut it from the old picture, place it on your background.
Use the layer --> layer style --> blending options to modify the picture u inserted over the background. There you can change the transparency, of the picture

(more to come)

Fonts:

Dafont
FontFreak
1001 Fonts
Acid Fonts
HighFonts
TypeNow Fonts
FontFiles
DlFree Fonts

There are too many fonts i like just to list. You'll find the right ones i'm sure. Either way i have 1 advice: use a filled font rather than a contour one. I like using old styles or more fluid styles rather than blunt fonts (take arial for example). In most cases i even use up to 3 different fonts just to make the thing look cool. There are rare exceptions when the font has pretty caps aswell as lower case letters

You can make the blending easy with the backgroud by using the outer glow & the inner shadow options of the layer. This method is more usefull for text than the shadow efect or the color changing.

I usually have 2 instances:

1. If the picture is more char-based (the char spans over the whole thing) & the text runs over the actual character i use the eye color of the char as text color. This blends better with the img. If the eye is dark then you can choose a slightly lighter color variant. The "outer glow" option can easily make the text visible

2. If the picture is landscape-based (has a lot of background & the char is only a small part of the whole thing) i use a contrasting element from the picture (usually the char's clothing). Again i like using the "outer glow" aswell as the "inner shadow"

That's actually the basic things you can do to make the text blend. After that you can start altering it's size, position, inner glow, shadow position, etc.

Pictures:

Avatars & banner resources (page 15 has some that i like)

Please take the time to go through the pictures before stabbing me in the face. I uploaded them herratically so u'll really have to look through the pages until you actually find something you like. Some of the avys are really lame
As you all know lazyness becomes me. Thus i'm 2 lazy to take the banner ready pics i made in the past. I must be crazy to remove from archives over 2 Gb of pics.
At request i'll try removing some good ones from the archives & posting'em on a host

Resource Sites:

Warning some pictures might have naked ppl in'em so don't look! If you're under 16 years old & you see any just change the site & run far away from the computer!
I do not take any responsability of the content of the resources since they change it often (neither does Human-Age). (thx Pancakes ^^)
(i dunno wich sites have that content so don't bug me about where you can find it... )

AxClipart
Banner maker for flash (yes.. it's good for plain banners aswell)
Banner Maker Pro
GFX Syndrome
Games Wallpapers
Anime wallpapers (not one of the greatest i've seen tho)
Anime Zen
BAnime
Cheat Happens (check the wallpaper section)
Base Head ( has ... some good materials u can use)
Last edited by tehno_lord on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Today is the last day of the rest of your life. (sucks to be you)
tehno_lord
Newcomer

Location: Bucharest's net cable lines - don't worry i am from the internet
Game Age: 1-Prehistoric
Character name: Tehno Lord
Clan: Hanging Dogs

Postby Pancakes » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:00 am

Wow, thanks Techno_Lord! All those Resouces are awesome!

Although, it might be a good idea to put a warning next to a few of those picture links. We don't need some of the younger crowd clicking and seeing nakkid woman (Although they aren't doing anything wrong...we can't take chances ;) )
Pancakes

Postby ready2race » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Pwettty!! Thanks for making this its really useful :) *goes off to look at all the sites*
ready2race
Official Pillow Eater

Game Age: 3-Egyptian
Clan: Laughing Jackal

Postby tehno_lord » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:34 pm

thx for liking it XD. I try my best when i'm not lazy.

Anyway if u'd like u can post some tips of your own here for beginning banner makers or for ppl that like to know how we make'em
tehno_lord
Newcomer

Postby ready2race » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:41 pm

Okay heres One. This was one I quickly created when someone asked me about Gridlines, here it is: [pre][/pre] First create a new layer[pre][/pre]Then fill it in any colour[pre][/pre] Then go to effects-->texture effects-->tiles.[pre][/pre] Set the settings to this: Image [pre][/pre]Then press Okay and you should get this:[pre][/pre]Image. [pre][/pre]Then mess with the opacity and Volia! [pre][/pre] Image
ready2race
Official Pillow Eater

Postby IvorySnow » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:47 pm

very useful info for people
IvorySnow

Postby marius.farcas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:15 am

good info! great work! :thumbup:
the war between good and evil
just marius
marius.farcas
Wrapped in Angie's arms

Game Age: 5-Medieval
Character name: marius
Clan: Left hander of Zeus

Postby tehno_lord » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Thx

I got more pics for avatars & banners unfortunatly they're on sites unsuited for kids so it will take a while until i crop them & put them on photobucket

If you have any resources related to making avatars & banners (pictures, fonts, etc.) or tutorials feel free to post'em here
Last edited by tehno_lord on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehno_lord
Newcomer

Postby hasrobcu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 pm

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

I found this program (it's free) and works pretty well. Tons of options for editing photos and combining them and whatnot! :thumbup: While I'm not the greatest artist or anything, I found this to be very easy to use and figure out. :clap:
hasrobcu
Oracle of Human Age

Game Age: 2-Celtic

Re: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Postby Maugos » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:34 pm

For those not having a possibility of buying Photshop here's a free alternative:

http://www.inkscape.org/

Hope it's useful for you.
Maugos
Active neighbour

Game Age: 4-Greek
Character name: maugo
Clan: Child of Selene

Re: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Postby Lady Gypsy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 am

Ive just uploaded every picture i own onto my photobucket... 400+

and there are heaps of very coo and nice pictures i would be honored if someone made banners with them...

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/gypsy4191/avatars/
I don't know the key to success.....but the key to failure is trying to please everybody
Lady Gypsy
Respected citizen

Game Age: 4-Greek
Character name: Lady Gypsy
Clan: Child of Selene

Re: Guides: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Postby Karrakex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 am

Another useful resource for backgrounds etc is http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/

Wonderful CG landscapes
ImageImage
Mommy to Pi-kaboo and Stretch - thanks Tirilene
Do you support PETA?
Married to Lupe
Karrakex
Newcomer

Character name: KaRaKes
Clan: Fiery Foot

Re: Guides: Avatar/ Banner resource & tutorials

Postby ovini » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:29 am

I found a good site for vectoring images... this will help when you have to resize the image :thumbup:

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/
ovini

Re: Alexander's PaintShop - Request your Avatars & Banners here!

Postby Torlak » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:35 pm

I got one little question regarded to making banners. How do I put downloaded font in my program for making banners? Thanks in front...
Torlak
Shy neighbour

Clan: Egg Heads

Re: Alexander's PaintShop - Request your Avatars & Banners here!

Postby ready2race » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Torlak: First if the file is a .zip you have to extract it (you need a programme such as winzip to do this).
Then you go to your start menu, and then to your control panel.
You then go to Apperances and Themes, and find the fonts folder. You then go file and install a new font.
You then find the folder where your new font is located, and then click install.

When you open up your programme, the font should be there and ready to use :D
ready2race
Official Pillow Eater

Next

Return to Artwork